Tag Archives: rubber mold

I always forget how fast plaster sets

Just to make sure the mold doesn’t have any trouble spots, Christine and I did a test cast of Gordon.

After coating the rubber mold with Vaseline, Christine wrapped and clamped the mold together.

While I mixed a rather large batch of plaster. 

Christine finished setting him up.

I stalled too long on the plaster and it began to set so Christine and I rushed to put in as much as we could. As we poured, plaster leaked from cracks in the bottom. So for future reference, more clamping is needed. I hope it turns out ok, but I won’t be heartbroken if it doesn’t. It’s only a test after all. :-)

Thanks to Christine for taking pictures and letting me steal them off her blog.


You can say April Fools now

For a few minutes I hoped that my teacher played an elaborate and evil April Fools joke on me. But it wasn’t a trick. Gordon was severely cracked because I didn’t cover him after shellac-ing him. My teacher came in later and showed me how to mix dry powdered clay with Elmers glue so I could glue him back together. This method was successful on the hairline cracks, but also problematic for the big cracks in the legs. We eventually used an epoxy type material and I cannot for the life of me remember the name.

Enjoy the process of making a rubber mold and shell below in this slideshow. :-)

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Next stop, casting.