I left the sketch for a couple of days, and when I came back to it, I immediately knew what need to be finished. I layered and painted until my sketchbook paper protested by bubbling.
I’m roughly two weeks into a long vacation on the Georgia coast. At the moment I’m hiding in our rental house to avoid the so-hot-my-skin-feels-like-it’s-melting-weather. The heat never bothered me until Sunday, when we went on a day trip to Savannah. The air was so hot, sticky, and muggy. Every time we passed a body of water or a fountain, I felt the urge to strip and jump in.
My family and I are vacationing on St. Simons Island, a place I’ve known since my childhood. I packed my sketchbooks, pencils, pens, and watercolors for the trip. Watercolor is a no-hassle sort of paint medium when it comes to transporting/painting on site. Equipped with an old Windsor & Newton watercolors compact set and a small assortment of Koi Water Brushes, I’ve gotten at least a bit of sketching in.
View of Jekyll Island from East Beach.
View from Pier of St. Simons sound and of Brunswick
View of Jekyll island from the village near sunset
Ocean view at dusk. (When I was little, one of my favorite stories was about an old man with a long silvery beard who had a garden of pearls. Every night, he took a pearl from his garden and placed it into the sky, hence it became the moon… it was unintentional, but the moon in the painting kind of reminded me of a pearl, and that story)
The sketchbook keeps filling up. More to come.
And OMG IT’S AUGUST. If my lack of posting indicates anything, you can probably discern how far behind I am with senior show.
Because of unforeseen problems, I got NO sleep.
I already mentioned that my sculpture had a skin predicament…
Placing in the hanging wire took the least amount of time…which is hilarious since I thought it would take me the longest to do.
Remember this? It’s been sitting patiently in our apartment dining room for this whole semester. Now our dining room feels a whole lot emptier without it.
I was paranoid and wrapped the wire all the way across the line. Toby told me that the wire should hold the canvas. Then I sheepishly mentioned that I was worried about the wire snapping during the art show. I mean, how horrid would it be to have your painting fall off the wall during an art show. Answer…it would be embarrassing. Toby told me that scenario was unlikely. He told me he’d never heard of such a thing happening before.
Ha. There’s always a first time.
What took me the longest time was Amanda’s portrait. Or more specifically, the background.
The beading was killing me.
I used a mop brush to apply the background. I just bought it about a week ago and I wish I had it sooner because if you want watercolor to look like watercolor or paint in puddles, like I am now, it is frankly the best brush EVER.
With the mop brush I added lots of pigment and then added TONS of water. Basicially, I was working with a gigantic puddle.
The pictures here show the portrait almost done. By this time, I decided not to record every painting move I made. And I forgot to add a picture of the final image. If this makes it into the final show (and I sincerely hope it does), I’ll make sure to snap a few shots at the art show.
Sculpture class is extremely early in the morning (I have to wake up at 6am). So during the course of this project, I kept forgetting to bring in my camera to photograph the progression of this torso bust.
Luckily, I brought it in today and got a shot of what it looked like after the fourth session:
And then photographed the almost done torso bust after today’s fifth session (and our last day with the model):
I’m glad that I’m taking two classes where I study nude models because then I get to experience the difference between drawing the figure and sculpting the figure. I made my schedule like this on purpose so I could decide this semester if I’m just going to major in Drawing/Painting or if I’m going to double major with Sculpture. Decisions, decisions…
After I trim up a few areas, we are going to cast this bust in plaster. This clay bust will probably be destroyed…but I hope it won’t.
I think I have only one more painting session to go before it’s finished. I began to paint in the background, the hair, and the neck. Speaking of the neck… that Adam’s apple needs to go. Just staring at this makes me want to go back to the studio and quickly fix the mistake.
For my Painting I final, I’m painting a mega, monster, humongous portrait (note to self…I should consider measuring the actual dimensions of my canvas)!!!
My friend, Elvira, was nice enough to volunteer for a quickie photo shoot. I asked her to give me weird faces, interesting gestures, whatever. This photo was one of our favorites:
I love this fantastic curving position and the shadows are beautiful. It was definitely the winning shot.
I pasted the picture in my sketchbook, did a few sketches, made a few notes:
Before Turkey Day, I outlined and began blocking in color for the painting:
And today, I began to make a few corrections, and add more detail:
I’m having loads of fun with this painting already and I hope the outcome of all the work I put into it will be fantastic. I hope all the paint I’ve paid a bunch of money for will not be wasted!